December 2009 Newsletter
Vol. 5, Issue 11
December 1, 2009
In this Issue:
- CFSI Grantee Learning Briefs
- Register Now for the 5th Annual Underbanked Financial Services Forum
- Upcoming CFSI Webinar Events and Webinar Recording
- CFSI Welcomes Newest Team Member
- Innovators Showcase: Recent News Briefs
- CFSI Speaking Engagements
- CFSI Produced Events
- CFSI Events of Interest
In September 2007, the Center for Financial Services Innovation received a two-year, $2 million grant from The Walmart Foundation to create the Nonprofit Opportunities Fund. The Fund provides innovative nonprofit organizations with the funding, partnerships and peer learning they need to connect their underbanked constituents with financial services and asset-building opportunities.
These Learning Briefs serve to showcase the progress of five of our grantees through fall 2009. Additionally, the Learning Briefs exhibit how these grantees have made a difference in the financial lives of underbanked consumers and document the lessons learned from their experiences thus far. Click here to view the Learning Briefs and to learn more about our grantees.
We’re gearing up for the Underbanked 2010 conference in Miami, Florida from June 9-11. This year’s conference focuses on succeeding in a growing market as the economy continues to rebound. Questions and topics we will tackle at this year’s forum include: What will the "new normal" will look like? What game-changing products and services are on the horizon? What can your organization do to better meet your underbanked customers where they are, and help them move forward?
Check out our newly launched website for more information on the Forum and registration. Be sure to register early for the best prices!
Upcoming CFSI Webinar Events and Webinar Recording
Date: January 12, 2010
Time: 1:00-2:00 CST
Click here to register for this upcoming webinar exploring lending trends in the Latino financial services market.
Listen to November's MP3 recording and view the presentation of last month's webinar.
CFSI Welcomes Newest Team Member
CFSI is excited to announce the latest addition to our team. Melissa Koide joins CFSI as our Policy Director. Visit our website to view her full bio.
Innovators Showcase: Recent News Briefs
If you want to know how our showcased innovators are transforming the financial services landscape to better serve underbanked consumers, check out these recent and archived news articles and press releases…
- Univision Partners with MasterCard to Deliver Prepaid Financial Services CFSI roundtable participant MasterCard Worldwide has announced a strategic alliance with Univision Communications Inc., the nation’s leading Spanish-language media company, to introduce two new prepaid cards aimed at providing Hispanic consumers with access to relevant and flexible financial tools.
- Viewpoint: Keys to Effective Financial Education Barb Iverson of Weber Shandwick mentions CFSI’s Financially Fit Minnesota study in this American Banker article noting the benefits of financial education
CFSI Speaking Engagements
- January 20-23, 2010 |Volunteer Leadership Institute 2010| Maui, HI. CFSI Director Jennifer Tescher will speak at this three day institute.
- February 22-24, 2010 | Prepaid Expo 2010 | Las Vegas, NV. CFSI Nonprofit Relationship Manager Sarah Gordon will present a session on how reloadable cards can expand their profitability with nonprofit partnerships.
CFSI Produced Event
- June 9-11, 2010 | 5th Annual Underbanked Financial Services Forum| Doral Resort and Spa, Miami, FL.
CFSI Events of Interest
- December 3-4, 2009 | The Consumer in the Financial Services Revolution | Consumer Federation of America, Washington, D.C.