On April 13, CFSI had the honor of participating in the New York Stock Exchange's Financial Literacy Week activities. Approximately 50 leaders from across the financial services industry came together to participate in the CFSI led event, "Ensuring Consumers' Financial Success through Innovation and Technology," to discuss how we can embrace technology and innovation to promote the financial success of underserved consumers.
- Michelle Greene, VP, Head of Corporate Responsibility, NYSE Euronext & Executive Director of the NYSE Euronext Foundation, kicked off the event and applauded CFSI in successfully organizing a collaborative of private funders to support the Financial Capability Innovation Fund. Click here to see Green's blog.
- Cyrus Amir-Mokri, Assistant Secretary for Financial Institutions, was the keynote speaker who talked about the important link between access to financial products AND information/guidance to ultimately improve consumers' financial capability. The complete text of his remarks can be found on the U.S. Department of Treasury website here.
- Jennifer Tescher, President and CEO, CFSI, also shared how financial providers can promote consumer success/financial capability by linking high-quality financial products with information/advice that is relevant, timely, actionable, ongoing. Then she defined quality by sharing about the Compass Principles. She also stressed the need for innovation in the financial services industry.
Two great sessions were presented which featured both CFSI Financial Capability Innovation Fund Grantees and industry experts discussing the importance of innovation, technology and financial capability in Americans' lives.
Leveraging Technology to Promote Success
What do we know about underserved consumers’ access to technology and their willingness to use technology to conduct financial transactions?
· Lee Rainie, Director, Internet & American Life Project, Pew Research Center
· Jayson Halladay, Co-Founder & CEO, PiggyMojo
· Hall Kesmodel, Head of Business Development, HelloWallet
How Peer Supports, Social Commitments, and Incentives can Promote Success
· Pamela P. Flaherty, President and CEO, Citi Foundation
· Patricia A. Hasson, President, Clarifi
· José Quiñonez, Executive Director, Mission Asset Fund
· Matt Davis, Director of Innovation, Filene Research Institute
CFSI supports and funds strategies and initiatives that provide Americans access to the financial products and educational tools they need to change their lives. CFSI manages the Financial Capability Innovation Fund, which to date has provided $1.5 million to five promising nonprofit-led projects designed to help consumers better manage their finances and achieve financial prosperity. The grantees are: Clarifi; Co-opportunity, Inc.; Filene Research Institute; Piggymojo; and Mission Asset Fund. A collaborative of funders led by the Citi Foundation and also including Bank of America, Capital One, Morgan Stanley, Experian, U.S. Bank, and Visa Inc. helped launch the Financial Capability Innovation Fund.
See below for the presentations from this event. Stay tuned for video clips.